Wichita State lost 55-47 to the Braves who went

in Salary Structure Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:25 pm
by wxy1123 • 182 Posts

NEWARK, N.J. -- Jason Chimera was just doing his job on the Washington Capitals penalty-killing unit, but when he poked at the puck in the New Jersey Devils end early in the third period, Chimera thought it was time to take a chance. "When I poked it forward, I noticed I had a one-on-one, so I decided to go with it," said Chimera, whose short-handed goal at 2:27 spurred the Capitals to a 3-1 win over the Devils on Friday night. "It looked like I had a step on the defenceman (Mark Fayne) and I used my speed to get away," said Chimera, who scored his fifth goal, first short-handed. "Its never easy going in on (goalie Martin) Brodeur, but I fired the shot and fortunately, it went in." With Mike Knuble in the penalty box for tripping, Chimera stole the puck, pushed it off the boards, and outskated two defencemen for the goal that gave the Capitals a 2-1 lead. Marcus Johansson added an insurance tally eight minutes later. The Capitals (10-4) snapped a two-game losing streak and broke a three-game winning run for the Devils (7-6-1). The teams will meet again Saturday night in Washington, and the Capitals will be looking for their sixth win in seven games over New Jersey. Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau knew how big Chimeras play was. "It was a great play by Jason and was a great momentum-turner," Boudreau said. "If you look through history, and I dont want to go through the actual statistics, but when you score a short-handed goal in a close game, that team usually always wins." Devils coach Peter DeBoer tried to rationalize what happened on Chimeras play. "I think at that point we had overplayed some people and we had some tired people out there," DeBoer said. "We let up for a second and they got one in. We didnt make too many mistakes out there, but they were able to capitalize on the ones we did." It marked the second straight game the Devils allowed a short-handed goal. What magnifies the problem is that the Devils, struggling mightily in the power play, went 0-for-5 with the advantage Friday. "I think its a big problem," DeBoer said. "Were all working and pushing for one, because the goals havent been coming easy. So you tend to push a little extra for that goal and you get burned by it. Its obvious we have to find a way to get the power play going." Devils rookie defenceman Adam Larsson, who turns 19 on Saturday, scored his first NHL goal in the first period to give New Jersey a 1-0 lead. The Devils remained in front until Alex Ovechkin tied it with just under three minutes left in the second period. It was Ovechkins seventh goal of the season and 10th in 23 career games against New Jersey. Tomas Vokoun stopped 32 shots for the Capitals in earning his eighth win. Brodeur made 17 saves. After a relatively quiet first 10 minutes, the Devils grabbed the early lead. Patrik Elias made a fine move to get the puck on goal, but it was kicked out to the right side. Larsson alertly skated in and unleashed a slap shot that Vokoun never had a chance to stop. "I feel good for the kid that he got his first NHL goal," DeBoer said. The Devils did a good job of defending Ovechkin, but couldnt completely shut him down. He was camped at the left post in the closing minutes of the second period and stuffed home a pass from Dennis Wideman for his seventh goal of the season. Nicklas Backstrom earned his NHL-leading 15th assist. After Chimeras go-ahead goal, the Devils had a few good scoring chances, the best being a wrist shot from in front by Elias that went over the net. David Clarkson also hit the post on a breakaway attempt. "I thought we deserved to have a couple early on," DeBoer said. "Thats what happens when you dont put a good team away. We let them hang around." Boudreau, frustrated by his teams effort, went with only three lines throughout most of the second period and into the third. "I thought a couple of guys werent going, so we had to change the lines around and shorten the bench a little to get a good group on the ice," Boudreau said. Boudreau was pleased with his perfect penalty-killers, who also generated a goal. "I thought our penalty killing was great," Boudreau said. "They were committed to blocking shots and with that, they pay the price. They end up with ice packs on their body and smiles on their faces." Johansson put the game away with his slick backhanded shot after bringing Brodeur out of the crease. "The Devils are always a tough test," Chimera said. "We always seem to get up for games with them." NOTES: Devils LW Ilya Kovalchuk missed his third straight game because of an undisclosed lower body injury. Kovalchuk, who skated on his own Thursday, was declared out of Saturdays game, according to DeBoer. ... Elias tracked the puck down after Larssons goal and secured it for the rookie. ... DeBoer moved things around with his lines, trying to get second-year forward Nick Palmieri out of an early season funk. Palmieri has one goal and three assists in 13 games. He was placed on a line with rookie Adam Henrique and captain Zach Parise. Jonathan Quick Kings Jersey . The 38-year-old veteran batted .235 in 88 games for Toronto last season his lone year as a Blue Jay. Drew Doughty Kings Jersey . "I thought he was going to pass away, I was going to die, I was going to leave his kids behind and his family," said Cabrera through third base coach Luis Rivera, translating Spanish to English. http://www.kingsjerseysofficial.com/jeff...ack-jersey.html. "I thought he was going to pass away, I was going to die, I was going to leave his kids behind and his family," said Cabrera through third base coach Luis Rivera, translating Spanish to English. Dwight King Authentic Jersey . And it starts on his home court. The Chicago Bulls superstar will suit up for the first time at the United Center since his latest season-ending knee injury when the U. Dwight King Jersey . Louis Blues, having added Ryan Miller and Steve Ott from Buffalo, remain the No.PEORIA, Ill. -- Wichita State is all alone in the record book. Again using a balanced offence and tenacious defence, the second-ranked Shockers became the first Division I team to reach 30-0 in the regular season with a 69-49 victory over Bradley on Tuesday night. "To be the first and only team in college basketball to win 30 without a loss in the regular season," Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall said when asked about his theme for the game. "I realize were playing more games ... but it has never happened in the regular season. "So its a first. And these guys like to be the first, and the best." Ron Baker had 15 points to lead four Wichita State players in double figures as the Shockers became the 11th team to reach 30-0, the previous 10 all hitting the 30-win mark during post-season play. The last team to reach 30-0 was UNLV in 1990-91. The Runnin Rebels went 34-0 that season before losing to Duke in the national semifinals. The Shockers (30-0, 17-0 Missouri Valley Conference) have one more regular-season game, at home Saturday against Missouri State. The last team to finish a regular season unbeaten was Saint Josephs in 2003-04 at 27-0. The next season, Illinois got to 29-0 before losing its regular-season finale at Ohio State. A barrage of 3-pointers early in the second half broke it open for Wichita State, which beat Bradley (12-18, 7-10) for the 10th straight time and second this season. After Bradley trimmed a 10-point halftime deficit to eight, Shockers point guard Fred VanVleet made consecutive 3s for a 14-point lead, the visitors largest to that point. By the 12:50 mark, Cleanthony Early had added a 3-pointer and Baker made two 3s off screens for a 50-32 lead. Wichita State finished the game 11 of 21 from beyond the arc, with four players making two or more. Bradley was 4 of 14. "End-of-shot-clock 3s. That was it," Bradley coach Geno Ford said. "Im not saying we were going to win, but you hold them to seven offensive rebounds and have just six turnovers? Ill take it.dddddddddddd "The difference was late-shot-clock 3s and their length at the basket." Ford went on to laud the Shockers defence. "At the rim, they have unbelievable length," Ford said. "Its length and it comes from anywhere. Even (6-foot-3) Baker. "Theyre absolutely terrific at help and recover, and they deny (wing passes). You cant find five teams in the country with that (combination)." Tyshon Pickett finished with 13 points and 15 rebounds for Bradley after nearly reaching a double-double in the first half with 10 points and nine rebounds. Pickett was just 5-of-20 from the field and leading scorer Walt Lemon Jr. was 6 for 20 and had 18 points. "I hate to get beat on the glass," Marshall said of his teams 37-36 rebound disadvantage. "But (Pickett) was a monster. He beasted us a little." Tekele Cotton scored 13 points, Early 12 and VanVleet had 11 for Wichita State, a Final Four participant a year ago. Reserve Darius Carter added nine points and seven rebounds and had one of the Shockers six blocked shots. Miserable shooting prevented Bradley from mounting much of a threat. The Braves were at 25 per cent (11 for 44) through 30 minutes and finished 16 for 59 (27.1 per cent). Bradley was playing host to its highest-ranked opponent since 1982, when then-No. 2 Wichita State lost 55-47 to the Braves who went on to win the NIT. The Shockers led 35-25 at halftime after holding the Braves to 8-of-34 shooting (23.5 per cent). The game was a matchup of the top two defensive teams in the conference, though Wichita State (60.8 points per game) leads Bradley (65.5) comfortably. Offensively, Wichita State is also the MVCs best (75.8) while Bradley (63.8) is last. The No. 2 ranking equals the highest ranking in Wichita State history, matching the 1981-82 team. cheap jerseys wholesale jerseys wholesale jerseys cheap nfl jerseys wholesale jerseys Soni Mustivar Jersey ' ' '

Scroll up